A baby walker is a device that helps support an infant who is learning to walk. It typically has a seat suspended between four legs and includes a tray in front for toys or snacks. Baby walkers can be quite beneficial for parents as they provide a mobile and safe space for babies to explore their surroundings and start to develop their gross motor skills.
There are many benefits of using a baby walker, including:
- Allowing babies to move independently can help with their development of Gross Motor Skills.
- The tray in front of the seat can be used for snacks or toys, which can help entertain and distract babies while they are in the walker.
- Baby walkers can help encourage crawling by providing support for babies who are starting to pull themselves up.
- Some baby walkers come equipped with lights and music, which can help stimulate your child's senses.
- When considering whether or not to purchase a baby walker, it is important to weigh the pros and cons carefully.
But, how do you choose the right baby walker?
Some potential disadvantages of using a baby walker include:
- There is a risk that baby walkers can cause developmental delays if used too much or too early. This is because they can restrict a baby's movement and inhibit their natural exploration of their surroundings.
- Baby walkers can also be unsafe if not used properly. There have been cases of children tipping over in baby walkers and getting injured. It is important to always use the proper safety restraints when your child is in the walker and to never leave them unattended.
- Baby walkers are not cheap, so you will need to factor in the cost when deciding whether or not to purchase one.
There are several alternative options available, such as:
- Creating a safe space for your baby to explore by removing any furniture or objects that could be within reach and could pose a safety hazard.
- Engage in floor time sessions with your baby several times throughout the day where they can explore their surroundings without the use of a mobile device like a baby walker.
- Purchase age-appropriate toys that will encourage your child to start moving around on their own, such as push toys or activity mats.
Should you decide to go with a baby walker then check out our article 'Find The Best Baby Walker For Carpet: Our Top 12 Options'. Whether you’re looking for something easy to fold and roll or a brightly-colored model designed for your little one’s entertainment, we’ve got it all! We researched, compared, and evaluated dozens of walkers to bring you the best picks for your baby. So, let's get them on their feet. Check out these amazing options from top brands and give your child the perfect way to explore their world.